The Testbed for Responsive Experiments And Demonstrations in Space (TREADS) provides flight heritage for new technologies. It is a technology demonstration and scientific gathering platform specifically designed to allow investigators to easily and quickly integrate and fly their instrumentation on a full-service operational satellite. Please see our flight schedule for upcoming launch opportunities.
- Your technology is the primary payload
- Dedicated to testing new technologies
- Efficient demonstration platform for risk reduction
- Increase TRL
- You design the most relevant mission/tests
- Fly your SBIR/BAA/PRDA/CRADA/IR&D devices
- "Technology slots" available for 1 to 5 instruments
- Boardlevel electronics, S/W or full components
- Several 'customers' per flight
- Dedicated Payload Manager to excersize your devices
- Don't have to convince primary payload that you won't interfere
- CONOPS development & technology validation sat
- "Turnkey" solution: integration, launch, mission ops
- Low cost space access on all rideshare platforms
- Intelsat, STAR Bus, Falcon I , Minotaur I, Atlas V, Taurus II and more...
- Recurring launch opportunities (1-2 per year)
- LEO, MEO, GEO, GTO, Suborbital, High-Altitude Balloon
- Commercial, civil and DoD customers
- Brief Specs
- P/L Mass: 0 to 40kg (88lbs)
- P/L Volume: 22" sq x 16" tall
- P/L Power: 100W @ 28V
- I/F: cPCI, 1553, SpW, RS422
- Throughput: 1MB-30MB/day
TREADS supports new electronics, software, and hardware. TREADS contains several standard interface slots that carry the Payloads (a.k.a. Devices-Under-Test (DUTs)) and an all-purpose flight computer to test software. TREADS supports standard Plug-n-Play Spacecraft Avionics (SPA) physical and electrical interface standards. The TREADS platform will measure the radiation experienced by the payloads, read the spacecraft sensors, exercise the payload, capture payload data, and send the telemetry to a ground station.
TREADS is a recurring flight opportunity (1-2 times per year starting in 2012) that enables your company/organization to:
- demonstrate your new technology in a real-world radiation environment;
- integrate your devices with real-world hardware for in-the-field experimentation and system performance characterization;
- and give your components a competitive-edge by increasing Technology Readiness Levels (TRLs) at a low, firm-fixed price.
The TREADS solution offers several advantages over other technology demonstration programs such as the New Millennium Program and TacSat including: 100% dedicated on-orbit testing time; multiple launch opportunities; and primary payload designation.
Please see our flight schedule for upcoming launch opportunities.